What is unique about the rubies and pink sapphires from Greenland?
The Greenlandic rubies and pink sapphires are the oldest on earth, found in a rock formation geologist estimate to be nearly 3 billion years old. While these gems are similar to those found in other locations, they are distinctly different, and certain gem laboratories are able to identify them as Greenlandic due to their specific trace element chemistry. All gemstones from Greenland Ruby are tracked and traced from mine-to-market.
Learn More About Purchasing Greenlandic Gems
There are multiple ways to buy Greenland Ruby gemstones:
- Through our B-to-B ecommerce platform, RubyCloud™. Click here to create an account.
- Through contact directly with a member of the Greenland Ruby executive team at: email@example.com
- At various gem and jewelry shows around the world. Please keep an eye on our social media and website for details.
Please reach out to the Sales Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shipments are typically dispatched from our Bangkok office. Delivery can take up to a week to ten days once your order is placed, depending on your location. We will provide an airway bill tracking number. Greenland Ruby is not responsible for duties or taxes.
We are committed to keeping our customers happy. Please contact our Sales Team at email@example.com for returns. Payments will be credited.
No. Greenland Ruby only sells cut and polished rubies and pink sapphires. We offer both cabochon and faceted stones. Please click here to connect with B-to-B ecommerce platform, RubyCloud™ to see our vast inventory of gems.
Learn About Certificates of Origin & Lab Reports
Greenland Ruby gems come with a Certificate of Origin or Card of Authenticity, approved by the Government of Greenland. The Certificate of Origin bears the gem's unique identification number and gives information on color, weight, shape and dimension. The Card of Authenticity gives proof origin and authenticates the rubies and pink sapphires from Greenland.
Don’t worry! We can generate another Certificate of Origin/Card of Authenticity for your gem and ship it to you! Please contact our Sales Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I get a GIA or other lab report on Greenland Ruby gems, and do they specify the Greenlandic origin?
Yes. Gem laboratories that have done research on the Greenlandic material have assures us that the rubies and pink sapphires from Greenland have specific trace element chemistry. These labs will state Greenland as ‘Origin’. Laboratories that provide Greenland as origin are: GIA, Lotus, AGS, GSI and IGI.
- Greenland Ruby adheres to strict human rights, labor, environmental, mining practice, and product disclosure practices, which reference the highest of Northern European standards.
- The company is also guided by its membership to the Responsible Jewellery Council, and has been certified against their Code of Practices.
- The Greenland Ruby mine at Aappaluttoq is located in an icy mountainous landscape surrounded by majestic fjords, at the bottom of a drained waterway. When mining is complete, water will be returned to the lake and the area will go back to its pristine natural state.
- As per the mining license issued by the Ministry of Mineral Resources in Greenland, Greenland Ruby adheres to a local Impact Benefit Agreement (IBM). See here for details
- Greenland Ruby employs a local Greenlandic workforce, of which 35% are women.
- All provisions at the mining operation are locally sourced.
- Greenland is an autonomous country of Denmark and has been transitioning since 2009 to eventually assume complete responsibility for its government, which is based on strict, Northern European models.
- A percentage of all sales of Greenland Ruby gems goes to the PinkPolarBear Foundation, which was initiate to support the communities at the source of our gems.
Greenland Ruby has introduced a formal mine-to-market, track-and-trace program for our gems, which has been approved by the Government of Greenland. The program is made possible by our customized inventory system. Shortly after mining and initial sorting, Greenland Ruby gives each parcel of rough material a number. Then, all the gems produced from that parcel are given their own individual number linked to it. These numbers stay with each gem through treatment, cutting, and placement in jewelry.
We only work with contracted partners that abide by stringent track and trace policies.
Greenland Ruby gems are heat treated with borax, which heals surface inclusions. This is an industry standard and is an acceptable way in which to stabilize the rubies and sapphires, making them suitable for cutting and setting in jewelry. Treatment is stable and irreversible and is a responsible industry practice when disclosed correctly.
The PinkPolarBear Foundation was initiated by Greenland Ruby and supports international polar research in all disciplines. The foundation is especially concerned with the effects of climate change on the environment; stimulating education, understanding the needs and supporting the inhabitants of Greenland, both animal and human, who are affected by accompanying cultural changes. Through the PinkPolarBear Foundation, Greenland Ruby and our partners are making a difference in the lives of the people who live at the source of where these precious gems are mined. As part of our commitment to the people of Greenland, a percentage of all sales from Greenland Ruby gems goes to the Foundation and we encourage our partners to do the same.